• i13926

Changing your name after divorce

Photo by Denys Nevozhai on Unsplash

Thinking of changing your name after divorce?

It is actually easier than you might think. There are a couple of options to choose from.

An easy option is to produce your decree absolute with your certified marriage certificate to relevant institutions. If you have used a solicitor or lawyer mediator for the divorce you can ask them to certify your certificate. At Green Light Mediation we will be happy to help you with this. If you are using this option you will have needed to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate and remembered not to just send the original off when you petition for divorce. Important point - You don't get it back!

The alternative method is a Change of Name Deed. Simply follow the link for the steps to

It's a lot easier than you thought isn't it? You don't of course have to change your name, it is just an option if you want it. Another point to consider is, if you have children, will your children have a different name to you? It might be useful to have a conversation with them before taking action as it's important that they understand it doesn't make you less related to them!

Children can internalise all sorts of worries, particularly if they are under the age of 8 years old.


© 2013 by Green Light Mediation Ltd                       Registered address: Office 7, 33 - 37 Ludgate Hill, London EC4M  7JN                  Company no. 7982644      Privacy policy